Freshen up your Home
Simple Ideas To Freshen Up Your Home
Home improvement isn't limited to huge renovation projects. You can make use of a few simple
steps to make your dwelling look new and rejuvinated. The tips below will not only increase the value of
your home, but enable you to stamp your personality on it. Implement the steps described in this
article and you are sure to feel the joy of having a rejuvinated home.
Walls - Let's start with the walls as they can really set the mood for your home's
Carpets - Old carpeting can make a home look worn or outdated.
- Cleaning - Consider how many stains are in your carpet and also what condition
your carpet fibres are in. It could well be that your carpet just needs a good clean.
- Rent a carpet cleaning machine and do them yourself. If you need some carpet
cleaning tips then check out the Carpet Cleaning
reviews section at Springclean.com
- Employ a proffessional carpet cleaner. If you need some tips on how to choose a
Carpet Cleaner then check out our Carpet Cleaning companies section.
- Buy a Carpet cleaning machine of your own. If you need some tips on choosing a
Carpet Cleaning machine check out our Carpet Cleaning Machine
Reviews section at Springclean.com
- Throw out your old carpet and install a new one, if it is obvious to you that your
carpet is beyond redemption.
- Cleaning schedule - If you have pets or children, you could well need to consider
a cleaning schedule that involves a full vacuum of your house every week and a vacuum of the
traffic areas every other day. Then a full carpet clean every 3 months but a carpet clean of the
traffic areas every month.
- Benefit - The benefit of making use of such a rigorous cleaning schedule is that
it would significantly increase the life expectancy of your carpets.
- Replacing - The choice is whether to replace with a new carpet or with some of the new
Hard Floor options.
- Longevity - Patterned carpets are a much better choice for heavy traffic areas
than plain carpets. This is because patterns can hide many stains and wear marks much better than plain
- Lifestyle - If you have a large family or a number of pets then you will have to
clean your flooring more often than a single person will. So Hard Flooring may be a good choice for
- Health - I know that there has been a lot of advice given to those with breathing
problems to choose the Hard Floor option. This is odd as hard floors are unable to hold dust in the way
that carpet can and therefore the slightest breeze will lift dust settled on the hard floor back into
the atmosphere. So I would advise those with such health problems to consider very carefully before
changing to Hard Flooring.
- Laminate flooring is one of the most affordable options, but with use, it is also
one of the most vulnerable. This type of flooring can make your home look cheap if installed
incorrectly or become an eyesore with use.
Windows - This is where most of the light will enter your home, so dirty windows or blinds and
the wrong choice of curtains can greatly effect your home.
- Window cleaning will greatly increase the amount of light that will enter the home. So for
a small amount of money you can certainly make a large impact on the atmosphere of your home. If you would like
some tips on Window cleaning, check out the Window Cleaning tips section at
- Window Blinds - There is no shame in having vinyl window blinds, but keep in mind that
they should be replaced every few months.
- Replacing - Vinyl collects dust and grime that can become caked after a while.
They are cheap enough to replace and give your room a fresh feeling that you would get from a
thorough spring cleaning.
- Cleaning - There are a number of fairly cheap tools that can be used to clean
most window blinds, but if you are careful you can manage with a small sponge or cloth to remove
most of the grime.
Furniture - Don't throw out your old couch or chairs! You don't need to reupholster them to
give them a makeover.
- Cleaning -If you intend to clean your own carpets, then you can use the same machine
to clean most types of upholstery. If you would like some tips for cleaning check out our Upholstery
Cleaning tips section.
- Covers - Purchase slipcovers in an appropriate size and color to give them an
instant facelift. Slipcovers are quite affordable and can be purchased at most home decorating stores.
- Replacing - Our Lounge furniture for the majority of families receives the most amount
of wear within the home. It is the area where most people spend most of their time and so ensuring that
this furniture is clean and comfortable should be high on our priorities, and yet many times it is
over-looked. So when the time comes to replace, don't be a skin flint, buy the best that you can
Lights - Other than a quick dusting the only other choice is to opt for replacing your light
fixtures. They are the perfect magnet for dust, bugs and allergens.
- Replacing your light shades.
- Purchase something that is easy to keep clean and looks pleasing to the eye.
- Choose something that will not become out of date quickly, as most people do not change their light
shades all that often.
- There are plenty of simple light fixtures that can make your home look eye catching.
Kitchen - Choose to upgrade your kitchen sink.
- A new stainless steel kitchen sink with new tap combinations installed can be the perfect focal
point for your kitchen.
- This is probably the most used sink in your home, so be kind and give it some attention.
- New sinks are much easier to clean and eliminate any growing bacteria.
Following the simple tips outlined above can make you feel like your home has been renewed.
These ideas don't require a lot of knowledge and can be completed in a weekend without costing you a fortune.
Add value to your home and practice cost effective home maintenance in a few simple steps.
Return to Home Improvement Savings